Motor Vehicles

Licenses Available:

  • Car
  • Motor Home
  • Moped
  • Truck
  • Utility Trailer
  • Truck Tractory
  • Motorcycle
  • Travel Trailer
  • Semi-Trailer
  • Bus



You can purchase your license plates the month before, the month of and the month following your birthday. Example: birthday July 15; you can purchase your license plates in the month of June or July or August.

To renew by mail, simply return the notice with the proper payment in the envelope provided.

To renew online, go to the Iowa State Treasurers Association website and use eCheck, Discover Card, MasterCard or Visa. The PIN and plate number on your notice are necessary for online payment. A service delivery fee is applied to each online transaction. See details at Delinquent plates can not be renewed online.

Renew Your Vehicle Online

Special License Plates:

Iowa has over 30 different types of license plates that may be displayed on your vehicle for an additional fee.

Special plates may be ordered directly from the Iowa Department of Transportation in Des Moines.

Applications are available at any County Treasurer’s Office.

Transfer of Ownership:

Effective January 1, 2020, the Treasurer's Office will require a Bill of Sale for ALL motor vehicle sales.

Bill of Sale should be completed in ink and include:

  • Seller's Name
  • Make of vehicle (Ford, Dodge, etc)
  • Year of vehicle
  • VIN # (vehicle identification number)
  • Buyer's Name and Signature
  • Seller's Name and Signature
  • Date of Sale
  • Dollar amount of Sale

To transfer ownership on a motor vehicle or trailer, you must have the certificate of title.

On vehicles 10 years of age or newer, you must have an odometer statement and damage disclosure statement.

Utility trailers with an empty weight less than 2000 pounds are not titled, to transfer ownership you must have the current registration.


To place a vehicle in storage, the license plates must be turned in before they become delinquent.

Storage does not prorate a license fee, but does drop all back year license fees and penalties.

When taking a vehicle out of storage, the current full year license fee is due. A vehicle must be in storage a minimum of 13 months or additional fees will apply. Please call the Treasurer’s office at 319-372-3405 or 319-524-1126 for further details.