Military Service Records

Military discharge papers (DD 214’s) may be filed in the Lee County Recorder’s office. An original or certified copy is needed for filing purposes.

If you wish to request a certified copy of a military discharge, please complete and return the application. This may be done by mail or in person at the Recorder’s office in Fort Madison. Please send a photo copy of your driver’s license if mailing. Entitlement has to be proven before a certified copy can be issued. There is no charge to record or obtain a certified copy of a military record.


Request Military Service Records Online


Copies of military discharge records are free of charge as long as you are entitled to receive the record pursuant to the following Iowa Code Section:

331.608 Military personnel records.

6. Unless otherwise provided by the person who requested the recording of a record under this section, notwithstanding section 22.2, subsection 1, such record shall be confidential and shall not be made available for examination or copying except as follows:

a. To the person who is the subject of the record, to a member of that person’s immediate family, or to that person’s agent or representative duly authorized in writing.

b. To a person requesting to examine or copy a record when the event that resulted in the record being made occurred more than seventy-five years prior to the request.

c. To a person who is a funeral director licensed pursuant to chapter 156 and who has custody of the body of a deceased veteran.

d. When otherwise ordered by a court of competent jurisdiction.

e. When otherwise required by a department or agency of the federal or state government or a political subdivision. The recorder shall make these records available to the department of veterans affairs. The department of veterans affairs and its employees shall be subject to the same state and federal confidentiality restrictions and requirements that are imposed on the recorder.

Additional resources:

 If enlisted from the state of Iowa:

Iowa Commission of Veterans Affairs
7105 NW 70th Avenue
Camp Dodge, Bldg. A6A
Johnston, IA 50131-1824
Phone: 515.242.5331 or 800.838.4692
Fax: 515.242.5659